Port Clyde Pals!

Belfast to Port Clyde

Wednesday (8/4) – Port Clyde, Maine

Wanting to get in one more run in this town before leaving, Denise took off at 6:00 am down the Harbor Walk path for a short run.  Expecting to be on mooring balls for the next two nights, she was happy to get in the run, even though her body really wanted to sleep in.  On her return back to the boat, she saw our friends Ruth & Herb (“Ancient Mariners”) leave Belfast.

“Ancient Mariners” – leaving

After breakfast Mark had a few things to do while Denise went with Ryan (“Rebecca”) to the Redemption Center to cash in our collected bottles and (mostly Diet Coke) cans.  Ryan had a rental car and was kind to assist us in getting these items off our boat, and collecting a whopping 85 cents.  Denise offered to pay for the gas, but at 2 miles each way he wouldn’t take it. Plus, we probably would have netted about 15 cents when it was all said and done.  It was hardly worth the effort, but we hate to see these items go into landfills and we certainly would like to redeem some of the deposit we have to pay with each purchase.

Once back on the boat we made preparations to leave, but first moved the boat over to the fuel dock to get a pump out.  Finally, just after 9:30 am we said good bye to the wonderful staff at Belfast City Marina and our new friend Ryan and headed out on to Penobscot Bay.

Our trip took us past the island of Islesboro to our left, and along the shores of the mainland to our right.  We had a terrific view of the Camden Hills as we went along, eventually passing the towns of Camden, Rockport and then Rockland.  This is very familiar cruising ground for us and we always enjoy this section of Penobscot Bay, especially when there is no fog.  Dodging the ferries between Camden and Islesboro or between Rockland and Vinalhaven was our only challenge, except the lobster pots….always the lobster pots.

Camden harbor
Passing the ferry near Rockland

Once past Rockland, we cruised through Owls Head Bay, leaving Owls Head lighthouse to our right.

Owl’s Head Lighthouse

We then took the short-cut route called Muscle Ridge Channel, as we headed west. It took us around a few rock islands and several small harbors and coves, including one called Seal Harbor; not to be confused with Seal Cove, Seal Bay or Seal Harbor in other parts of coastal Maine.  Eventually we passed by the Whitehead Island Lighthouse, where its location is very critical.  This point is known as one of the foggiest spots on the coast, with about a quarter of the days spent in fog during any given year.

Whitehead Island Lighthouse

We passed by Mosquito Island and shortly thereafter the Marshall Point Lighthouse. Once we saw this lighthouse, we were reminded that we had traveled here by car for our anniversary weekend in 2018.   Not only had we been to the lighthouse, we had also visited the town of Port Clyde.

Marshall Pint Lighthouse

Here we turned north and cruised through the Port Clyde Inlet and navigated around the numerous lobster boats on moorings. 

Port Clyde Harbor
Lobster boats on moorings in harbor

We slowly made our way up into the top of the harbor and to our mooring ball for the night, complements of one of our cruising friends whom we met at Dolphin Marina (see post here). Mack & Dolly who are from Oviedo but have a summer home in Port Clyde had invited us to come to visit.  They are friends with Larry & Diane, who live year-round in Port Clyde and whose house overlooks the harbor. Come to find out, Larry is the town Mayor. They have a dock where Mack keeps his boat in the summer, when not on his mooring which we were staying on for the evening.  It is less than 200 feet from Mack’s dock.  We secured our boat on the mooring and had our lunch aboard, all the while establishing contact with our hosts for the evening activities.

Larry & Diane Bailey’s house

In late afternoon we launched our dinghy, and took it to the dock at Larry & Diane’s house.  Then we walked up the steps to their back porch and met our hosts.  They had cocktails and happy hour food spread out, and they had made dinner reservations for later.  We sat on their porch overlooking their view of both Port Clyde Harbor to the south, and the rocks and channel that leads to St. George River to our northwest.

When it was time for dinner, they took us to the Black Harpoon, a local’s restaurant and bar that is eclectically decorated and got crowded fast with the summer residents.  Here Mack and Larry knew everyone and would stop those passing by our table to introduce us.  We had great conversation, laughs, and got to know each other a little bit. Before the meal was done, they invited us to stay another night so we could join them at another local spot (“The Barn”). Given the forecasted weather, our plans didn’t allow for it, but we thanked them for the invite and left open the door to coming back in a few weeks, when we return to the Penobscot Bay area.

After dinner we said goodbye to Mack & Dolly as they were driving to another part of town, and Larry & Diane took us back to their home (and our dinghy).  We ended up talking to them for a while before heading back to the boat, and capturing this magnificent picture of our Island Office from their back porch.

We had a lot of fun with these two couples, and we really want to come back for a Thursday night at “The Barn”. Our hosts were beyond gracious and we feel honored that they invited us into their circle of friends. It was quite an experience and we loved it, so we will most likely make it happen.

Our sunset this evening:


Comments are closed.